During exams time, most teenagers search just one question on the Internet, How to Concentrate when Studying. The main reason for doing this is their low focus.
If you also have this problem. So then ask yourself a question, for what reason wouldn’t I be able to concentrate when studying? Why at whatever point I sit studying, different things distract me.
On asking yourself, you will find that your concentration has begun moving away from distraction towards a solution.
Another major reason for not feeling like studying is the lack of a study plan. On questioning students who have a lot of lack of focus, you will find that they don’t have any plan to study of their own. That is why they do not like to read at all. Now, what is the solution to this problem? How you can build your concentration level by overcoming distractions while studying?
15 Tips to study with full concentration
Below listed are the proven tips that will help you to concentrate when studying.
1. Choose the right place to study
Choosing the right place matters a lot to concentrate when studying like:
- Find a place where there is a peaceful atmosphere.
- Not too hot or too cold.
- Keep a good Chair and Table to sit on.
- There should be facilities to keep books well.
- Some people listen to songs while studying, so listen to light or instrumental songs so that your mind is not disturbed.
- Put a board of “Do Not Disturb” outside that room.
2. Make studies your regular work
Most people consider education to be different from their regular works, it is not right to do so.
You have to prepare or plan something like this for your studies –
- To study every day, prepare a Time Table Chart and study according to its time.
- Do not think of education as different from regular activity.
- Always get excited to study (Motivate).
- Do not keep studying time for more than 45 minutes in the time table at once, and take a break of 5-10 minutes in between two sessions.
Note that at which time you are comfortable reading – day or night, and make your time chart accordingly.
3. Remove all distracting things
If you want to study anything without getting distracted for a long-time, then, first of all, keep away all the attention-grabbing things. Most attention-grabbing items are mobile phones, social media, games consoles, and television.
These things divert your attention from studying in such a way that you do not get to study but also causes more disadvantage to you, like –
- Because of these things, you waste most of your time on other things.
- Long talk on a mobile phone or long chat on social networking websites, both ways you forget things you missed while studying.
- Stay away from these electronic devices if you want to study well.
By doing this you will be less distracted, also you can properly concentrate when studying.
4. Read properly
Just reading anything does not help, it is important to learn it along with reading it well. You will not be bored by doing this. Below are some ways with the help of which you can learn well.
- By understanding the tasks of your studies in any way, Set your goal to completely understand the topic.
- Appreciate yourself for your hard work and, with the same self-praise, take inspiration and study more.
- Always stay connected with positive thoughts and read good inspirational books in free time.
- Tell your thoughts and feelings to your friends, family and get feedback.
5. Be Disciplined
If you want to concentrate on studies for a long time, then it is very important to maintain discipline. Your mind may start to divert from one side to the other, but discipline is the only thing that does not let your attention be diverted. What to do, let us tell you –
- Whenever your attention goes away then get rid of the distracting thoughts immediately and focus on studies.
- Gradually, if you study regularly according to the time table, then you will be disciplined yourself.
- If your attention is still tending to distract, then write it on the wall of your study room or paste it on a paper “I will pay attention while studying and will do nothing else”.
- If you still have difficulty then identify and correct your mistakes well.
- Think of studies as fun and not as a burden.
6. Know when to rest
It is worse to do any work without a break. Think that break is a good thing and do some positive work at that time so that you do not forget the thing you missed while studying.
You must take a break of 5-10 minutes per 45-60 minutes, which keeps the mind fresh. Create your study schedule including breaks in it for every study slot you have planned.
7. Monitor your progress
Along with improving the way you study, it is also very good to keep an eye on your progress. This will definitely inspire you and will definitely help you to succeed. Ask yourself some important questions –
- What are my main goals?
- What do you want to get this week?
- What tasks do I have to complete today?
- Are my time tables and methods working for me?
- What other ways can there be to improve it?
8. Understand Your Body
We all have a different reading method and time. Some people study well in the morning or are good at their work, while some people try to read well at night.
You have to understand your body when your mind wants to read more at night or during the day. To do the right thing at the right time is called success.
9. Sleep well so that you can concentrate while studying
You must be aware that “sleeping well” has many benefits. Sleeping well is a very beneficial medium for placing your mind to study. When a person sleeps well, his hormones are properly regulated which makes the brain strong and gives the body rest which helps in remembering things while reading.
It is very difficult to concentrate or focus on studies at any time from a tired body and sometimes it is impossible. Therefore, one must sleep 7-8 hours daily at night according to need.
10. Eat Healthy Food
By eating good food you will always be healthy and you will be able to do all your work by getting excited. Eating good fruits, vegetables, and grains increases brainpower. A nutritious and balanced diet also helps in studying.
Stay away from eating excess fat, sweet, carbohydrate because it damages your body.
11. Do one thing at a time
Make a habit of doing one thing at a time. This proves very useful not only in studies but in every field. how –
- Keep your attention completely on one thing.
- Switch to another task only when your one task is complete.
- Trying to do a lot of tasks at the same time will result in all incomplete tasks.
12. Read the hard subject first
When you prepare your study list, keep the hardest subject in the starting days of the week and do the favorite subject in the latter days of the week. By doing this you will not get bored in the end and spend the whole week with concentrate when studying.
13. Decide the time to study
It is very important to have time management to study. Choose the time you like best for yourself. Like morning time is best for someone similarly, there are students who prefer night for studies. It’s all up to you how to utilize your best time on studying.
14. Prepare tomorrow’s study plan today
After completing today’s study, which subject should be read the next day, prepare its plan before bedtime. This will remove your entire confusion of the next day and helps you to concentrate when studying the selected subject.
15. Do Daily Meditation
If you want to concentrate better in studies, then meditate daily. This will reduce your stress significantly. Do meditation as well as yoga. With this, you will always be full of energy. This will also increase your focus capacity.
Yoga For Students to concentrate while studying
Nadi Shodhan Pranayama or Anulom Vilom
Anulom Vilom Pranayama relaxes the mind and prepares it to enter a meditative state.
It helps to remove accumulated stress and fatigue and improves your focus when studying by doing this yoga for a few minutes every day,
- Sit relaxed, leaving your spine straight and shoulders loose. Put a soft smile on your face.
- Place your left hand on the left knee, the palm open towards the sky or in a chin pose. (Thumb and index finger lightly touched).
- Place the index finger and middle finger between the two eyebrows, the ring finger and the little finger on the left nostril of the nose, and the thumb on the right nostril. To open and close the left nostril we will use the ring finger and the little finger and the thumb for the right nostril.
- Breathe out from the left nostril by gently pressing your thumb on the right nostril.
- Now breathe through the left nostril and then press the left nostril gently with the ring finger and little finger. Open the right thumb from the right nostril and exhale through the right nostril.
- Breathe in from the right nostril and exhale from the left side. Now you have completed one round of Anulom Vilom Pranayama. Continue to inhale and exhale from nose to nose.
- In this way, take 9 rounds by breathing through both nostrils alternately. After every breath, remember that the same nasal breath has been inhaled. Keep your eyes closed completely and continue to take long, deep and comfortable breaths without any pressure or effort.
It purifies the eyes, strengthens the muscles of the eyes, enhances vision and memory. It helps in preventing sleep disturbances and strengthens the ability to concentrate, so it is recommended for school-going children. It develops inner vision, intuition, ability to see and will power.
You can also try yoga asanas or exercise, for example, Hastapadasana, Paschimottanasana, Chakrasana. These will increase blood flow to the head area and improve the measure of oxygenation to the head. This will help you with keeping quiet, concentrated and active during test time.
How to overcome distractions while studying before the exams?
Now when we talk about students only, they face the most difficulties when their mind is distracted before the exam. Students should make a time table in which they can ensure their reading time. for example
- First, you should schedule two hours in the day for reading only.
- Take your food and sit down with drinking water so that you do not need to get up for that.
- Choose a quiet environment and stay away from mobile phones and television.
Maybe these steps will bother you in the beginning and your mind may not be engaged in studies but remain seated there. No matter how many things keep distracting your mind, you keep trying to get your attention in the books. In a few days, you will get used to studying at that time and your mind will also accept that thing. After that, increase the reading time gradually.
Foods that will help you improve your concentration when studying
1. Green leafy vegetables
Eating green leafy vegetables is very good for your mental health. These contain adequate amounts of antioxidants, carotenoids and both of them provide great strength to your brain. These vegetables also contain folic acid, which increases your mental stability.
2. Flax seeds
Flax seeds or flaxseeds are easily found at most grocery stores. These flax seeds contain a lot of magnesium, vitamin B group, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber. All these elements greatly help in increasing your concentration, reducing your weight and provide a good mental balance.
Now, you already know a lot about nuts. From your parents to many advertisements on TV, you tell us many advantages of eating nuts. Hardly any of you do not know the benefits of almonds and walnuts for the brain. These nuts are a very good source of vitamin E and vitamin E maintains the intellectual level of any person as they age. Essential oils and amino acids are also present in plenty of nuts, which help a lot in increasing your concentration.
Drinking a sufficient amount of water daily is the best way to increase your concentration. By drinking a sufficient amount of water daily, the toxic and waste substances of our body get out of the body through sweat and urine. As all of you know that 70% of the human body is made up of water and this factor alone is strong proof that our body needs water to survive. Almost every function of the body depends on water. Therefore, it is important for you to drink a sufficient amount of water.
Orange is a sour fruit and contains a lot of vitamin C. Vitamin C is a very good antioxidant that fights free radicals that harm brain cells. It also increases the disease-resistant capacity of our body and protects us from cold.
6. Fatty fish
For non-vegetarians, eating fatty fish is also a very good option for their mental health. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in plenty in fatty fish and this helps in improving your memory and practical functions. People who are deficient in omega-3 acids often suffer from mood swings, depression, tiredness, and weak memory.
7. Dark chocolate
Lastly but quite important is Chocolate! But please note that we are talking about dark chocolate, not any other chocolate you like. Dark chocolates are bitter in taste and contain a significant amount of coca. Coca contains an abundance of flavonoids which increases our cognitive power. There is also a small amount of caffeine in it, which increases your mental alertness and also contains magnesium which keeps you relaxed. Eating dark chocolates in small amounts will only benefit you and help you concentrate when studying.
Hopefully, you will like the tremendous tips to do these above practices while studying. If you pay attention to all these points, you can easily concentrate when studying. If you like these tips, then share it with your friends on social media.
FAQs on How to concentrate when studying
💡 What causes poor concentration and memory?
Depression and stress cause poor concentration and memory. At the point when you are tense and your mind is overstimulated or diverted, your energy to concentrate can suffer. Also, due to the stress induced by an emotional shock you can also suffer from memory loss.
💡 What causes distraction?
Distraction is caused by the absence of capacity to focus; absence of enthusiasm for the object of consideration; or the excitement or curiosity of something other than the object of consideration. Distractions originate from both outside sources and inner sources.
💡 Can anxiety make it hard to concentrate?
Fear of discomfort or judgment can be an enormous factor in anxiety, and social uneasiness specifically. Due to the anxiety you may find difficulty while doing anything with concentration.
💡 How do I stop my mind from wandering while studying?
Here is what you can do to stop your mind from wandering while studying:
Try to concentrate on what you are doing. Try not to do a particular thing, while simultaneously thinking of something different. At the point when you are occupied with something, and a significant idea springs up into your brain, record it on a bit of paper so you would come back to it later.
💡 How long can a normal person study with concentration?
So for the normal person, the concentration-time with the complete focus is around 90 mins to 2 hrs. However, it can be shaped into longer intervals. In this manner, your work and study assignments that require your complete concentration can be performed for around 2-4 hours.
2 Replies to “How to concentrate while studying [15 Simple tips]”
Great piece of content. Thanks for sharing! I would like to suggest everyone to use Pomodoro timer. This is purely from my positive experience. It has been a great help during my exams.
i will follow all the tips you have mentioned. Thank you very much