Having excess chest fat can make you feel very uncomfortable as a man especially when you take your shirt off around other people. However, in this article, I will show you the best 3 steps to reduce chest fat for males.
A lot of men will quickly assume that if they have a lot of chest fat they probably have a condition known as gynecomastia.
Gynecomastia is a term used to describe the growth of a man’s breast tissue which is typically caused by a hormonal imbalance such as having very high estrogen levels and very low testosterone levels.
However, gynecomastia is usually not the actual cause of the excess chest fat or man boobs.
Instead, if you’re a man struggling with chest fat you most likely have something known as Pseudogynecomastia. Which is simply increased fat deposits around your chest and most likely you also have some excess body fat in other areas as well.
Since everybody has different genes our bodies will preferentially store fat in different places. While women will usually store more fat around their hips and their thighs.
Men usually store it around their chest belly and love handles and even though you may be unlucky if you’re more prone to storing fat around your chest.
You’re very lucky that this is a totally fixable issue.
Steps to reduce the chest fat for male
1. Decrease your overall body fat percentage to reduce chest fat
Unfortunately no matter what anyone else tells you there isn’t one single exercise that can target your chest fat.
There are exercises that can help build muscle and improve the shape and definition of your chest which I’ll get into in this article but there’s no way to spot, reduce the fat that’s sitting on top of that chest muscle.
However, even if your body prefers to store fat around your chest, by burning enough overall body fat you will also reduce the chest fat.
So most people will tell you to just create a calorie deficit by simply subtracting 500 calories per day.
However, even if you’re eating fewer calories but those calories are coming from sources that are processed or high in fat and sugar then you’re more likely to create insulin resistance which will physically prevent fat loss and instead of burning that extra 500 calories per day your body will just slow down its metabolism to make up for those missing calories.
So instead of just tracking calories, you’ll want to also know your macros and this is very important. You’ll want to fill those macros with fresh whole foods that you’ll find around the outside perimeter of your grocery store.
But keep in mind as you lose weight and as your body adapts the number of calories that you’re taking in your metabolism will slow down and you will have to readjust to keep losing weight.
But a great way to prevent your metabolism from slowing down at least as much is to cycle your calories.
One of the best ways to do that is by dropping your calories lower by let’s say 30% from maintenance for two weeks and then you would bring your calories back up to maintenance levels for two weeks.
Research shows that these two weeks on two weeks off dieting approach leads to more fat loss, it’s more sustainable and it’s less likely to result in a metabolic slowdown.
There are other ways that you can cycle your calories as well such as
- Carb cycling: where you would have high carb days and low carb days.
- Alternate day fast: where you would eat at maintenance one day and then eat under 500 calories the next day.
All of these will help delay metabolic slowdown as you burn that chest fat.
Now underneath that fat, I’m sure you’re hoping to find some nice pecs but to make that happen you have to follow step 2.
2. Perform weight training
If you’re breaking down your muscles with weights your body is gonna divert the calories and protein carbs and fats that you’re eating towards rebuilding your muscles which will make it much easier for you to lose body fat and it’ll also help you build muscle size, shape and strength specifically around your chest.
This will make your chest look tighter and more defined. Again we can’t target the fat sitting on top of the muscle but we can target the muscle itself and I’m going to give you five of the best exercises that you can start doing today to build pecs even if you haven’t burnt the fat off just yet.
5 exercises to reduce chest fat for male
1) Bench press
You can do this flat, at an incline or decline.
The flat bench press is great to help build chest strength as well as overall chest size and shape.
Meanwhile, the incline will focus more specifically on the upper chest and decline on the lower chest
You’ll want to try to incorporate all three into your routine over time
- To perform the bench press you would retract your shoulder blades by squeezing them tightly together.
- Then you would lie under the bar with your feet planted on the ground and grab the bar with a medium grip width which will about six to twelve inches wider than your shoulder width.
- Next, you’ll want to maintain the natural curve in your spine and keep your core tight as you lower the bar to the middle of your chest.
- Then push your feet into the ground as you drive the weight back up off your chest and repeat for reps.
2) Dumbbell press
Dumbbell press is very similar to the bench press but since your hands are no longer connected on one bar you can isolate each side better and you can hit your chest in a very different way.
Again this is one that you can do flat, incline, or decline but the form remains very similar.
- Feet planted on the ground, shoulder blades back, a neutral curve in the spine and then press the dumbbells up while keeping about a 45 to 75-degree angle between your elbows and your body.
By the way, you’ll want to keep that same 45 to 75-degree angle for your bench press as well.
3) Chest fly
This can be done on a flat, incline, or decline and it can also be done on a number of machines as well as the cable cross.
But for a basic dumbbell fly, you’ll want to retract your shoulder blades and lay back on a bench with your hands over the line of your shoulders.
Then you would bring your arms out to your sides in an arc-like motion with a slight bend in the elbows.
It should look like you’re about to hug a really wide tree make sure you bring the dumbbells down no lower than chest level and then raise them back up for reps.
4) Chest dips
- This exercise is performed like regular dips where you would get up on two parallel bars but you’re going to be leaning forward while performing the exercise.
- So after hopping up with your arms locked out, lean forward and lower your body until your shoulders are even with or slightly under your elbows.
- Then extend your elbows and return back up to your starting position before repeating for reps.
- Remember with dips if your body weight is still too difficult right now you can use an assisted pull-up machine or a resistance band to help you up.
But if you are strong enough to do bodyweight dips try to strap weight onto your body to make it more challenging.
5) Push up to reduce chest fat
I really like to do it on two platforms if I’m trying to target my chest because it allows for a better stretch at the bottom.
But regardless of whether you use the platform’s or not, you’ll want to plant your hands wider than shoulder-width apart and you’ll want to keep your heels your butt and the back of your head in a straight line.
- Don’t allow your hips to drop down to the ground and don’t raise them up in the air like you’re about to do mountain climbers.
- Instead, you want to keep your core tight as you lower yourself to the ground while keeping your elbows at that same 45 to 75-degree angle as before.
- Then press yourself back up off the ground and repeat for reps.
You can also do this exercise with a wider hand placement to focus more on the chest.
Now, these are just a couple of the exercises that you can do and if you do three sets of a heavyweight of each you’ll get a great chest workout.
But even if your goal is to improve your chest you should still make sure that you’re working the rest of your body every week with other exercises like squats, deadlifts and pull-ups just to name a few.
Training all your muscles won’t only help you build more muscle which will help increase your metabolism but it’ll also help you burn fat during the workout and after the workout, as you recover and it’ll help you develop a proportional physique which goes hand-in-hand with the last step “improve your posture”.
3. Improve your posture
Now improving your posture won’t necessarily reduce chest fat but it will definitely improve the appearance of your chest big time.
Since most of us spend most of our days hunched over behind a computer screen or a steering wheel we start to develop a much tighter chest and a weaker overstretch upper back.
This leads to a postural deviation known as shoulder protraction and it’s gonna make your chest look much worse but luckily we can fix any postural imbalance in three steps by stretching out the tight muscle groups, strengthening the weak over stretch muscle groups and then practicing good posture.
1) Stretch out tight chest muscles
- One of the best ways to do this is to stand in front of a doorway with your arms bent at 90-degree angles against the frame of the door and then lean your body forward through the doorway to increasing the intensity of the stretch
- Another great stretch for the chest involves grabbing TRX straps and then walking forward with your arms out to the sides and your elbows slightly bent until you feel that stretch in your chest.
- Make sure you don’t lean forward instead you want to stand up straight and walk forward you feel the stretch.
- The last of the tight muscles that we want to stretch are the lats
- You can stretch the lats by simply hanging off of a pull-up bar, you can also just put your elbows on a bench or a chair and lower your upper body down to the ground until you feel the stretch.
Now keep in mind you’ll want to hold all of these stretches for 30 seconds each round and repeat for three to four rounds.
Try to get these stretches every day and you’ll definitely notice a big difference.
2) Strengthen back muscle
The other thing that you’ll want to do is tighten up and strengthen all of your upper back muscles especially the rhomboids since they’re overstretched and weak.
You can do that with exercises like barbell rows, low rows and reverse flies.
3) Practice good posture
The last thing you want to do is practice having good posture throughout the day.
Even though pulling your shoulders back and thinking about standing up straight can help something that helps me a lot more is to concentrate on keeping my sternum pointed straight towards the ceiling.
If you imagine that your sternum is like a glass of water and by keeping it straight you prevent it from spilling over you’ll find it a lot easier to maintain better posture.
There are also posture correctors that you can get on Amazon but most of them will be doing all the work that’s required to hold your shoulders back for you rather than your muscles doing the work and getting stronger.
But there is one that doesn’t force your shoulders up and instead, it’ll remind you every time that you slouch allowing you to correct it with your own muscles helping them get stronger ultimately correcting your posture. it’s called the upright go.
That about wraps it up. I really hope you guys enjoyed this article and find these 3 steps to reduce chest fat really helpful.
FAQs on How to reduce chest fat
🏋️ What causes chest fat?
Excess fat stores on your chest can be caused by simple hereditary conditions: everyone’s body is formed differently, and we as a whole convey fat in various pieces of our body. That being stated, now and then abundance chest fat in guys is brought about by low testosterone levels (called gynecomastia).
🏋️ What foods cause man breasts?
Certain food like dried fruits, flax seeds, soy and tofu are high in estrogen-like phytoestrogens, which may cause man breasts.
🏋️ What exercise is good for chest fat?
The bench press is one of the most excellent chest exercises in fitness. It’s a trusty move for building strength, burning fat, and getting that additional little cut in your pec muscles.
You may also like to read our article on how to reduce butt fat for men.